Friday, October 29, 2010

BFF, LYLAS, and so on

I can remember my first day of kindergarten just like yesterday.  I was so excited about going to the same school as my big brother.  What I didn't understand was that we would not be in the same class, so when I got to school and he was not with me, I was a little scared!  Then this really nice little girl with long blond hair came and sat in the chair next to me. This would be the beginning of a 25 year and counting friendship.

In my life I have been blessed beyond measure with a wonderful, loving, and caring family.  I realize that this is something that is now often  not the case and I am thankful for them.  I also have been immensely blessed with friends whom I consider family.  Having both of these families in my life has made more of an impact on me as a person than I could ever explain in words, but I will try.

I went to the same school from kindergarten to high school graduation.  In fact, it was all in the same building.  To some this may be surprising, but to those of us who grew up together, it was normal .  The same girls that I started to play basketball with in elementary school were the same girls that I shared the court with on my last game as a senior.  Sunday school, bible camp, summer bike rides, and sleepovers, they were all there.  First dates, prom, parties, graduation, and even our first hangovers, we all were together.

  For some people this is where the story ends, after high school everyone goes their separate ways and those friendships that were so strong become a distant memory with the occasional phone call or email.  In my case, this was not the end of the story, in fact, it was just the beginning.

In college I meet new people at a different phase in my life.  I never dreamed that I could become such good friends with someone almost instantly.  It was just like the first day of kindergarten all over again.  After college and across the miles, the story doesn't end here for me either. 

Being a nurse is a great job.  It is my passion, it is what I have wanted to do all of my life.  When I passed my nursing boards and had a real job, I was so excited, yet terrified.  The thought of literally having someone else's life in your hands is a huge responsibility for a 21 year old.  My fellow co workers took me under their wings, they taught me how to be a good nurse, they took care of me.  I watched them save lives literally, I witnessed them having to tell a mother that their son or daughter was dead.  I have seen them hold the hand of the dying person who has not one family member until they take their last breath.  They even introduced me to the man who would become my husband and the father of my children. 

Through thick and thin, best friends forever, to those of you special people in my life, we have stayed true to this.  We have seen each other at their best, and at their lowest. We have been there for each other through marriage and even divorce.   We have been there for illnesses and death of loved ones.  We have been pregnant together, and have seen each other become mothers for the first time.  Through all of the laughter and some tears our friendships are stronger than ever.  No matter what walk of life we have meet in, you are all different, yet so instrumental in the person that I am. 

I want to thank the special few of you who are my closest friends.  You know who you are, whether we have been friends since the first day of kindergarten, or have only known each other from work.  Thank you.  Thank you for being a good friend to me.  Thank you for loving me for who I am.  Thank you for your loyalty and trust.  Yes, I am one of those lucky few people in this world that has a group of friends that I can call family.  I know that no matter where we are in life, that we will always share the common bond of friendship.

A friend loves at all times.  Proverbs 17:17

I love you my dear friends

No comments:

Post a Comment