Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Thanks

This is my favorite time of year, Halloween to the New Year. From the smell of the leaves after a cold rain, to the first snow, I love every crazy, busy minute that the season brings.

The entire month of November I have seen all of the posts on social media every day of the things that people are thankful for.  I really enjoy reading them, and although I can't possibly list all of my thanks in 30 facebook posts or one single blog, here is to giving it a try.

My black Old Navy yoga pants from 2006.  They have stuck with me through two pregnancies, and although they are faded, stretched out, and nearly see through, they are still my favorite pants.

The guy that works the counter at the Speedway on Westport Road by the St Matthews Target.  Every morning when I stop in to get my 32 oz diet coke, he smiles, rings me up, and tells me to have a good day.  He doesn't act like he rode to work on a unicorn while stopping to rescue a litter of puppies on the side of the road, and for me who isn't a morning person, I'm thankful for his monotone voice and quiet demeanor.

The Carpool line.  I know I complain about it sometimes, but I love being able to pull up to the door of Frankie's school and not to even have to get out of my car.  His teachers even unbuckle him out of his car seat, and then they pack in the 10 pounds of backpack he has to take with him as well.  They rock!

While we're talking about them, I'm thankful for teachers.  There is one job in this world that I would not want to have, and that is being a teacher.  That says a lot, because in my job I clean up poop, deal with all kinds of body fluids, smells, etc etc.  Their dedication to my children and their well being is to be commended.  Especially Frankie's teachers.  They love him, nurture him, and are giving us hope that we once thought we didn't have.

TV shows like Hoarders and websites like the people of Wal-Mart.  Even on my worst day, when I look like holy hell and I have laundry stacked on top of the dining room table to the chandelier, they make me feel just a little bit better.

Jimmy Johns.  Because while the kids are perfectly fine eating leftovers from two days ago, I'm over it.  Also, because they bring my Pepe without tomato and with hot peppers to my doorstep freaky fast.

Barney, Dora, The Backyardigans, Mickey Mouse, and any other character on Nickelodeon or Sprout. This entire gang of a holes as annoying as they are, have given me the opportunity to shower, wash my hair, shave my legs, feed my facebook habit, and have a phone conversation over the past six years.  Thank you, Thank you very much.

The surprise phone call from my hubby during the afternoon in between patients.  Although we only talk for a minute, to hear his voice and to share a funny story, it makes my day.

Speaking of my husband, I'm so thankful for my better half.  He is one of the most hard working, dedicated individuals I know.  He trained for 14 years to enter into a profession where he works 60-80 hours a week. He misses doctor visits, birthday parties, holidays, school plays, etc etc to help other people's loved ones live. On the days he gets home before bedtime, he always drops everything and rescues our little rug rats and gives me a break. He loves me for me, and he still gives me butterflies.  He just makes life better.  My how I love him!

My children.  Olivia is sweet, spunky, caring, and so inquisitive.  She was my firstborn, she was the baby that was held every waking minute of the day, rushed to the pediatrician at the first sign of a sniffle, and the person who literally changed my life.  My Frankie, well, he is the cutest little boy I've ever laid eyes on.  His blonde curls and smile can literally melt your heart.  He loves like no child I have ever been around.  I don't know if it is because he can't express himself with words, so he uses his actions, or if it is just because he is so sweet. Either way, he has my heart, as well as all those who know him.  My children although they wear me out sometimes, are wonderful.  They make life worth living and are the most precious gifts I've ever received.

My parents.  I'm thankful for the things that they taught me, and for the examples they set.  I'm thankful for discipline when needed and love all the time.  I'm thankful for the Sunday mornings when I was a teenager, where they would wake me up and make me go to church.  I'm thankful for every softball game, basketball game, band concert, etc etc where they were front and center cheering me on.  I'm thankful for meals together, advice, and now their friendship.  They are pretty awesome.

My extended family.  My brothers, in-laws, Aunts, Uncles, and cousins.  My brothers are three of the best guys I know.  Chad, well he was my big brother, and hero.  I always wanted to be just like him growing up, I even tried to stand up and pee once, because I thought if he could do it, I could too.  Zach, my baby brother, he was like my first baby because he was so much younger than me.  He was the first person who introduced me to my dislike of Barney.  Andrei, even though he is technically Bobby's brother, I think of him as my brother as well.  He has loved me and welcomed me to his family from day one, and I love him for that.  All three of them also have awesome women in their lives whom I love dearly.  The rest of my family, well they are awesome.  Their love and friendship is something that is rare, and I know how blessed I am to have them.

My friends. Some of the most wonderful blessings in my life are the handful of friends that I consider family. They are truly golden, they are constant, and they love and support me at my best and my worst. I can't imagine trying to navigate all of life's twists and turns without them by my side.

Last, but not least, my faith.  My hope in something greater than this life.  The promise that I am never alone, and the comfort of someone who I can cast all of life's burdens on, because he cares for me.  His mercies are new every morning, and his love endures all things.  He has given me all of these things that I have to be thankful for.  Thank you Lord!



No comments:

Post a Comment